Lesson 2 - Portraits and hands

This lesson we focused on portraits and hands. Although I really like drawing portraits in my free time, they are both quite difficult for me to draw, so I enjoyed this lesson so much. We started with warm-up quick sketches from 20 seconds to 1 minute which was challenging and a bit funny when I just started drawing and I had to finish. I wasn't used to drawing this quickly and I still struggle doing it.


Then we did two 2 minutes long portraits which were much better and I was very surprised how I made the one with my non-dominant hand (bottom left). 


Blind drawings are always fun but except eyes, they look quite good. I enjoyed the continuous line portrait because my sketching style is almost continuous line, however, 5 minutes was surprisingly long time for continuous line.


I think the first close-up is proportionally quite good but it wasn't close enough and I didn't do any marks. For the second one, I tried to draw the model's face bigger and closer which ended up proportionally off and charcoal marks were a big struggle for me (they still are). However, I like the nose, the rest of the face is completely wrong.


We continued with charcoal marks which look more like a texture of an orange, not skin and I was hopeless with this exercise. I need to try it again and again in my free time to be better, maybe I'll do it with gioconda. The next portrait with pencil looks better, although closeups in this size are obviously my real weakness. 


The next exercise was focused on drawing portraits from a profile using positive and negative space. The second one was a bit more difficult for me because Mel was standing from a different angle, not from a straight profile. But overall, I think they are both successful. 





I was curious how my drawings of hands will look like because hands are always my biggest struggle when I draw people. I always have to use reference photo and even with the photo they still look very bad. So I was very surprised that it wasn't as bad as I though, although the first ones look a bit like made of gum. I really like hands in the second picture, especially when I remember how confused I was in the beginning, looking at Mel's hands with no idea how to start drawing all those fingers.








Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar