Final Brief


I was working on my final brief with Kristina. We decided to work together again because we think that we can make a good team. We have no problem with communication and we have very similar ideas. We were thinking about it even before we were given the task, because we thought we could make a videoclip for a song. At first we wanted to animate the song Space Oddity by David Bowie. We both really like the song and we had some great ideas how to animate space, planets, astronauts and spaceships. After we found out that we don't have enough time to do the whole song and we decided to change it for a shorter one. We picked Wanna Be Yours by Arctic Monkeys. As we couldn't animate people or animals, this song is perfect to animate when we draw what is literally sung there. We wanted to do it whole but the task was to animate 10 seconds each, we decided to animate only a minute.

Lyrics:

I wanna be your vacuum cleaner
Breathing in your dust

I wanna be your Ford Cortina

I won't ever rust

If you like your coffee hot

Let me be your coffee pot
You call the shots babe
I just wanna be yours
Secrets I have held in my heart
Are harder to hide than I thought
Maybe I just wanna be yours


I was animating parts highlighted blue and I also created the font, inspired by a font which I found on the internet.

After I knew what I am going to do, I searched for pictures of objects which I was going to draw. These were my reference pictures of the vacuum cleaner and the coffee pot.




I had to draw them very simple because we wanted to stick with the theme of the album AM and their official video of the song Do I Wanna Know from the same album (link here). 

This is the sketch of the vacuum cleaner and the coffee pot with a cup.


In the beggining of the song is a long overture, so we decided to animate a soundwave and a double sounwave like they had it in the official video and on the cover of the album AM. 

 

When it came to choosing the font for the lyrics, which was given to me to do it, I was searching the internet for some fonts made out of one line, related to Arctic Monkeys or Do I Wanna Know. It was quite difficult but I found a good one (3rd picture) and made letters matching the font, because I found only "do I wanna know" written in it.




Another not easy thing to do was timing. The song isn't very fast, but we had to listen to it and watch frames in premiere so many times until we found frames where sequences start and finish.


When we started making the animatic, I found out that I don't know how the cup will appear next to the coffee pot. I was thinking about turning it around because I didn't want it to simply stand there. I wasn't sure how to rotate it, so I made a video of me, turning around a cup and then I made sketches of few stages of the cup.



When everything was prepared, we started animating. At first we made sound waves to see if they will work. We were using cycles, which we had learned when we were animating the flag and the washing line, and it was the easiest part of the animation. After they were done we did a sound test which looked quite good.



Later I did some sketches to see how I want to form the objects from a line and then I could start drawing the animatic.



Our first animatic didn't turn out very good, because we didn't make enough drawings. 


Then we made another animatic with more drawings. We both think it still wasn't enough but we decided to continue with our animation rather than working on 3rd animatic.


Our final animation is about 17 seconds shorter than our animatic, because of while we were working on 4 different briefs in the same time, there wasn't enough time and we both already had enough animation to complete the task. I still think it's a pity because it would be nice to see it whole but I am glad we made it this far.

We knew that we want to invert the colours of our animation to a white line on the black background, so we had to find another way to shoot it because our two small lamps couldn't make enough light. We were working in a MAC room in Pierson.




We had few small problems with shooting and putting it into premiere but after all we found a solution for everything. Our animation looked like this.


We were surprised that it really works, because we both were so worried about some parts of the animation. I wasn't sure if my coffee cup will be rotating and chains on the heart wasn't an easy thing to do neither. We also added more frames into waves but it's visible that they are nit synchronised with beats. However, we fixed it in final animation with inverted colours.


This final brief was definitely a challenge for me, not only because if was the first one, but also because it was something different and very long. Another difficult part for was synchronising frames with the song. Overall I like how our animation turned out although there are things I could have done better. I have learned how to animate something to music, not only a short sound, how to morph different objects and I think my timing improved (I like it on the coffee pot). I am also very satisfied how we kept unity of style in our animation. I would definitely like to animate whole song, unfortunately there wasn't enough time to do it now, so we will maybe finish it someday.

Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar