Homework - Portraits

When I saw this homework on the blog I was very happy because drawing portraits from photos is one of my favourite things to draw. I have done several commissions for different people but this was going to be a challenge because of the short time for drawing. I am used to draw as realistic as I can with all details and smooth shading which usually takes hours and now I had only a few minutes to do it. That is why I chose charcoal as the medium for the first drawing, a face from a magazine, which had to take only 10 minutes. As I wrote in the last post, charcoal is my biggest struggle and especially charcoal portraits are very difficult for me. However, I think this portrait is definitely better than portraits from the last lecture.


The second drawing, a friend, was 20 minutes long drawing but it took me approximately 25 minutes, unfortunately. I chose to draw it with graphite pencil 6B and I was very surprised about the shading of the skin. It blended very nicely, it has three-dimensional effect and the portrait literally comes out of the paper, so I am very happy how this one turned out, especially when it took less than a half an hour.


For the portrait of my favourite singer, I decided to try coloured pencils because I wanted to work more with coloured media. The proportions are a bit off but I quite like the shading on his face, although the shadows could have been darker. I haven't drawn many portraits with coloured pencils before, so it was a bit challenging for me. (30 minutes)


For the last one, a drawing from an old black and white photo taken before 1980, I chose a photo of David Bowie from a film The Man Who Fell To Earth. For 45 minutes long drawing I was able to capture enough details and the shading is very smooth, so I was very satisfied with this portrait, although the angle of his mouth is a bit incorrect and his shoulders are wrong. What bothers me are the shadows but it's because of the white background which doesn't match with the light and shadows on his face.


Overall, I am very satisfied with these portraits, because I know that a half a year ago I wouldn't be able to draw a portrait with a nice shading in such a short time. I am aware my shading doesn't look textured, sketchy and expressive but it always started as expressively shaded drawing and ended up smooth because I had (surprisingly) enough time and it didn't look good and finished. 







Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar