Christmas break homework: Architecture drawing

The task for the Christmas break was to make sketches of architecture. Because I went home for holidays, I decided to sketch my hometown, Banska Bystrica. We were supposed to show the contrast in the architectural style and my hometown is perfect for this. It has a beautiful historical centre which is contrasting to communistic buildings from the last century.

The beginning was very difficult for me because I didn't have enough experience of architecture sketching and it was very cold in Slovakia (around -5°C) so my hand was frozen. Anyway, I managed to sketch different buildings or details of them into my sketchbook and I am satisfied to see the progress of my skills in architecture drawing.

We were allowed to use only 2 different colours so I used black and blue, mainly because I like working with blue colour and I have many different black media, but those colours also remind me of the cold in Slovakia. I wanted to use more of blue coloured media but unfortunately, it was too cold for watercolours or acrylic paint.

Top: Bzeniczky house's loggia (20 min)
Bottom: Coat of arms on the house of Slovak Forests (10 min)

The main square: a Christmas tree, the Plague Column, the Leaning Clock Tower (10 min)

The main square (20 min)

The House of Matthias Corvinus and the Evangelic church (15 min)

The Church of The Assumption of Mary into Heaven (30 min)

Top left: The Church of Franz Xaver (8 min)
Top right: The Town Castle (5 min)
Bottom left: Porges Palota (6 min)
Bottom right: The Church of St. Elizabeth (5 min)

Town district Sásová (20 min)

Town district Sásová (30 min)

Top: Slovak post office (10 min)
Bottom: Emergency (30 min)

Top: The house of Culture (35 min)
Bottom: old town district (15 min)

The second part of the task was to draw six different locations which represent certain characteristics. We were allowed to use photo references, which made me very happy, that I don't have to freeze outside again. Each drawing took me approximately 1 to 1,5 hour.

After the first drawing of the clock in Brno I decided that a graphite pencil is not right media for this task although it looks nice and clean. I still struggle with drawing perspective and I think it needs more stronger shadows.

Erotic: A clock in Brno, Czech Republic

In the second picture of "fevered" building I tried to use a line marker to make it all clean, because I think I wouldn't be able to draw all those lines clearly with for example charcoal and in the end, it would look like a big mess of lines. For the fevered atmosphere, I used watercolours in vibrant tones which made it interesting, in my opinion.

Fevered: Krzywy domek (a Crooked house), Poland

For a passive building, I chose an old, abandoned block of flats in the town Pripyat next to Chernobyl, which is empty since the explosion. As medium, I used Gioconda which grey shades and textured shading complete the crumbled architecture with trees.

Passive: Pripyat, Ukraine

For the word "muffled" I decided to draw an abandoned building as well but I was looking for something more covered in trees and bushes. This old Polish house is hidden behind the rusty metal gate and everything is hidden behind nature. I drew it using charcoal which makes it more chaotic and hidden in all those lines and marks. I think the atmosphere of a muffled building is really nice there.
Muffled: an abandoned house, Poland

When I thought about a transcendent building, Canterbury cathedral immediately came to my mind. I have visited many cathedrals in England and when I was next to this one I felt very small, it was like it wanted to reach the sky. I used a light watercolour wash to set the atmosphere and charcoal stick for lines to add details. I like how those media work together.

Transcendent: Canterbury cathedral, England

I chose an abandoned amusement park in Florida as frightening because I find abandoned amusement parks very creepy and this devil's head makes it even more horrifying. I used charcoal because I thought it will fit the frightening atmosphere. I quite like how it worked but I need to find out how to draw sky with charcoal.

Frightening: an abandoned amusement park, Florida


Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar